5 years ago Clare and I walked a marathon. Yes, you read that right. We WALKED. *I* do not run or jog. But Karen wanted us to raise money for a wonderful cause, Teams in Training. Karen runs. Karen runs a lot. I do not. As luck would have it neither does Clare.
So we formed a little team of 2 and trained for 5 months.
While raising the money and helping out that wonderful cause was great and was our PRIMARY reason for joining, I think Clare would agree that the bonding experience became center stage. We laughed. A lot. We cried. We walked. We walked some more. And then we laughed some more.
Did I mention that we laughed? A lot?
That whole experience was just incredible. I don't remember the blisters or the shin splints or the sunburn or the fire in my muscles as much as I remember this stuff:
- the catered hot tub breakfast from my husband
- the Hello Kitty backpack focal point for Clare
- running from the cops who were trying to bus us the last mile
- getting caught making butt-squeeze gestures to a cyclist
- laughing so hard I farted
- laughing so hard we couldn't continue walking
- turning *slightly* psychotic to get Clare to finish that damn marathon
- apologizing to Clare for turning *slightly* psychotic
- laughing about turning *slightly* psychotic
Happy Birthday, Clare! I love you!
(wanna do it again?)