Friday, March 19, 2010

Calling each other inside the house

Have you ever picked up your cell phone and either dialed your home number or the cell number of another individual who was ALSO in your house? Is this ever acceptable? I know, some of you are shouting from the rooftops about the pure laziness of this concept. "Back when I was younger we didn't have cell phones and we walked upstairs to talk to people...both directions!" I can hear that flying out of some of your over-30 mouths. But I'm here to argue that there are some acceptable scenarios.

So.....

TOP 10 REASONS it is okay to call someone who is in your house while you are also in the house with them:

10. You are upstairs. They are downstairs. You have laryngitis.

9. You are downstairs. They are upstairs. You have laryngitis.

8. The satellite has gone haywire. The TV in one room is not synched to the satellite box in the other. Call someone in the other room so you can calmly discuss what is appearing on the TV screen. This will save you from shouting excessively and developing a case of laryngitis.

7. You are sitting watching TV. Specifically a show your significant other wants to watch but you don't. Call them. They will be distracted until they see it is you calling, but it will be just enough time to snatch the remote. Turn the channel to something you want to watch instead.

6. You are on the phone with someone that has gotten long-winded. You really want to get back to the last chapter of a really good book. Motion to the other person in the house to call whatever phone you are NOT talking on. When it rings, tell the person that you are getting another call and need to hang up.

5. Your daughter/son is sitting in the other room with their boyfriend/girlfriend. Things get quiet. Call.

4. You have asked your son 3 times to take the trash out. He keeps getting sidetracked on the computer with Facebook/MySpace. Call him to remind him to take the trash out even if he is sitting 5 feet away from you. This may require at least 4 calls.

3. You are upstairs and have just finished showering. Your laundry room is downstairs....with your pants that have just finished drying. You hear visitors. Call someone to bring you your britches.

2. You are upstairs sleeping. Someone walks through the front door and wakes you. You think it is one of your children. You hope it is one of your children. You pray it is one of your children. Call each child until you confirm that it is one of your children.

and the number 1 reason it is okay to call someone in the house when you are in the house WITH them:

1. You've just discovered the toilet paper roll is empty. And you have laryngitis.


11 comments:

  1. ha ha! My kids think it is so funny to call me when we are all in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing out loud at work. I'll have to think on some more acceptable reasons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing out loud at work. I'll have to think on some more acceptable reasons...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That post is hilarious!! Teagan asked me what was so funny so I must have LOL. I like #4.

    Look at you - you have 48 followers! Your getting close to ruling the world afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I call DH every once in a while. I also call and ask for Jenna when she's downstairs, she gets excited to get a phone call...then she gets mad it's me

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah I do this all the time. I sometimes fake that I am talking on the phone when my cleaning lady is here (that is another whole story) but yeah it is totally acceptable. Love your post Cheri
    Oh oh I remember another time I texted John while sitting in the Western Door (you know the restaurant) there was a lady sitting within ear shot and her boobs were like really really big and they were hanging out and I wanted to make sure John didn't miss them. LOL so I texted him. He about broke his neck trying to get a look LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are funny!

    I think the only time i've called hubby when we're both in the house is when i was too ill to shout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It also works when you are cleaning out closets and something falls on top of you and to keep more of an avalance from happening, you call to the people in the other part of the house who have earphones plugged into ipods and can't hear you screaming. Not that this has ever happened to anyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is 10 kinds of awesome and I'm going to tell my friends all about it.
    Right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good ones. I think after yelling upstairs 5 times, it is ok to text the text obsessed teen to get his rear downstairs. I also think anytime you are in sleep mode it is ok to call downstairs to have them turn that tv down. just so you don't have to get out of bed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails