Sunday, September 2, 2018

September....more than the end of summer



September is Suicide Awareness Month. I have to be honest and tell you that I was not fully aware that there was an entire month dedicated to this subject prior to July, 2016. And after that horrible call my family received about Cody I found myself talking about it all the time, not just the month of September. But some really incredible people reached out to me about the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and I've been involved in some degree since then.

"Involved in some degree...." seems like a strange thing to say since the degree to which I was impacted by my son's suicide was much grander than "some degree". We opened an entire restaurant in his memory. I'm still suffering from a broken heart and trying very hard to pull the pieces of my prior self back to together. Some of those pieces don't quite fit yet. It's a struggle. My whole family struggles with it in their own individual ways. But there are things I can do to help others while perhaps making sense of why I am in this horrible club that nobody wants to be a part of.

One of the things I became involved with was the Out of the Darkness walk that raises funds for AFSP in their mission to save lives, bring hope and help end the stigma associated with mental illness and depression. It is a sense of community, bringing people together for a reason that is heartbreaking and full of sadness. These walks are amazing and help in a small way to heal the wounds left behind in the survivors of suicide victims.The first year I participated I was numb. It was still very fresh and very raw. Last year I found myself hugging strangers along the walk who were participating in their first event, knowing their pain and sadness, but yet giving them a sense of hope that there is healing in the future. That it won't always feel this raw.

September 29 is the Sacramento chapter's "Out of The Darkness Walk" We will be there in our purple, "Team Cody Pryor", walking for change and hope. If you would like to join our team, please go to the link below and click "Join Our Team". Help us raise funds, join us on Saturday morning, or both....or simply make a donation. The love and support I get each year from my family and friends is always heartwarming and I'm certain it will be no different this year.

Thank you all for your support, love and encouragement over the past 2 years.

Team Cody Pryor

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails